Voting

Friday, December 23, 2011

Santa Breakfast




The Academy had another nice free Christmas breakfast this year. They had lots of little crafts and activities and of course the long line to sit on Santa's lap.






Alyssa informed Santa that Mason likes cars and trucks. She asked for a surprise. That makes it easy!



About 6 months ago, Alyssa asked out of the blue if Santa was real. I had to tell her that he wasn't real and the look on her face was so sad. I did my best to explain to her the story of St. Nicholas and how he was a kind man who loved God and liked to give children gifts at Christmas (or something like that, we have a book that talks about it), and thats how the story of Santa Claus started. I told her that all the stories we tell her about God are true and the true reason for Christmas is to celebrate Jesus' birthday. I had been debating on how to handle the Santa thing for a while, and I remember enjoying it as a kid and it never confused me or devastated me when I found out he wasn't real(I actually don't even remember). I'm glad that she knows. We are still "pretending" Santa because it's fun. But now I think Alyssa's focus can be less on the mystery of Santa and more on the wonder of Jesus' birth.

No comments: