Voting

Friday, December 14, 2012

Miracle for microfiber

When we bought our couch 6 years ago, before we had kids, the salesman raved about how great microfiber was for kids.  He claimed it was stain resistant and so easy to clean.  Our couch looked great for about 6 months.  Then we had a baby who projectile vomited for her first 9 months.  I would clean up the mess but it would always leave water spots that were bigger and worse than the intial spot.  Then we had sippy cup spills, potty accidents, etc.  The couch was disgusting.  It really was "clean", I cleaned all the spills but the soap and water left marks that made it look nasty.  Before we moved here I tried to clean it with the baby wipe method. It worked ok, but was very time intensive.  I scrubbed the stains with a baby wipe and then dried it with a blow dryer. This method is really only for a few small spots, not the whole couch.  So it looked ok for a while and then we had more spills and I eventually just put cover on it, not to protect it, but to hide the embarassing stains.  I washed the covers last week and had to look at my nasty couch and decided I had to try to do something with it, or I needed to chuck it and get a new couch.  Getting a new couch probably isn't the best idea considering we have 2 kids under three.  So, I found this link on pinterest and figured I had nothing to lose.  It says to saturate your couch with rubbing alcohol, scrub it with a sponge, let it dry and fluff with a brush.  So I bought a ton of rubbing alcohol and set to work.  It took a lot of scrubbing, and I had to redo it a couple times, but it actually worked!  The alcohol smell was pretty intense, but once it dries you can't smell it at all.
 
I'm a little embarassed to post the before pictures.  It was so gross!  But, it worked so well I have to share, especially if it saves someone a $300 cleaning fee or a new couch!
 



I really can't believe it worked so well.  This couch hasn't looked this good in years. It looks so fresh and clean, and no water spots! And, it should be good and sanitized too, with the amount of rubbing alcohol I used:)

3 comments:

Kim said...

Our microfiber couches look exactly the same as yours....so don't be embarrassed. I will need to try this method sometime soon because I really don't like how they look right now.

Mandy said...

cool!

Melissa said...

I've GOT to try this!